· Plan time for exercise. Exercise helps relieve holiday stress and prevent weight gain. A moderate and daily increase in exercise can help partially offset increased holiday eating.
· Don’t skip meals. Skipping meals could tempt you to over-indulge.
· Survey party buffets before filling your plate. Choose your favorite foods and skip your least favorite. Include vegetables and fruits to keep your plate balanced.
· Eat until you are satisfied, not stuffed. Savor your favorite holiday treats while eating small portions. Sit down, get comfortable, and enjoy.
· Be careful with beverages. Alcohol can lessen inhibitions and induce overeating. Non-alcoholic beverages can also be full of calories plus sugar.
· If you overeat at one meal, go light on the next. It takes 500 calories per day above your normal caloric consumption to gain one pound (or 3,500 calories per week).
· Bring your own healthy dish to a holiday gathering so that you know there is at least one healthy option for you to choose from.
· Take the focus off food. Enjoy being around your family and friends. Turn candy and cookie making time into non-edible projects like making wreaths, dough art decorations or a gingerbread house. Plan group activities with family and friends that aren’t all about food. Try serving a holiday meal to the community, playing games, or going on a walking tour of decorated homes.
I hope you enjoy the holiday season and feel great while doing it!
Links to Helpful, Healthy Holiday Tips:
Healthy Holiday Eating focusing on Thanksgiving - http://www.healthcastle.com/holiday-eating-healthy-thanksgiving.shtml#undefined
Simple Ways to Cut Sugar, Calories, Sodium, and Fat - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-holiday-eating/MY01046
Healthy Holiday Food and Diet Tips - http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/holiday-foods-diet?page=2
Healthy Holiday Eating Strategies - http://www.realsimple.com/health/nutrition-diet/healthy-eating/eat-healthy-during-holidays-10000001683797/index.html
Helpful Eating Tips for Holiday Travelers - http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/26/health/healthy-eating-traveling-holidays/index.html